It’s a new year, and I’ve been looking through my photos from the six winters I have lived here. Santa Fé is a top destination for both Holiday and seasonal travelers with good reason. The air is crisp and clean, breathing it in feels like drinking purity. The farolito lights add their warm glow to the night sky and the Plaza sparkles with Christmas lights. Yearly traditions like the Christmas Eve Farolito Walk on Canyon Road brings everyone out of their houses to stroll the galleries, sip apple cider and take in the season.
If you come to Santa Fé for the Holidays, be sure to:
1. Do the Christmas Eve Farolito Walk on Canyon Road. Dress in layers to be warm, and have snow boots.
2. Soak at Ten-Thousand Waves. The cold air steams off the water while you relax in 106 degrees of bliss. The sandals you get in summer are the same in the winter, so bring some Ugg’s, or boots with good traction, as it gets icy up there.
3. Visit Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi. Built in Romanesque Revival style, the architecture is stunning with its Corinthian columns, vaulted ceiling and stained glass windows.
4. Spend some time at the Plaza enjoying the Christmas lights.
5. Have some Christmas enchiladas to celebrate the season.
All photos © Suzanne Kessler, except where noted.
St. Francis Cathedral at Christmas
Icicles at Ten-thousand Waves
The Perfect Winter Landscape
My first winter here, in 2008, produced heavy snowfall.
Eldorado at Santa Fe
Overpass View, Winter 2010
He couldn’t resist the ice on the trampoline. Model: Gabriel Kessler
Snowman complete. Model: Gabriel Kessler
Our dog, Oliver, shakes off the snow.
Beautiful skies while soaking at Ten-Thousand Waves.
Ten-Thousand Waves: Bamboo & Pine
The climb at Ten-Thousand Waves.
Steve Hains from Ten-Thousand Waves clears the roads.
The Chilliest Chilled Beer
Winter fell on the Jean Cocteau Cinema in Santa Fe
A Study in Contrasts: Eldorado at Santa Fe
All bundled up. Photo by Gabriel Kessler.
My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Toby, loves the snow.
Winter on Canyon Road
Our home during the winter of 2008
Winter Sunset in Santa Fe
The Plaza Lights
Christmas Lights & Farolitos